Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Wondering ...

It's sometimes amazing to me that I ever deeply desired to have children. And now that our biological children are a little older, we're even considering adoption. But it's nights like these, where my two youngest are fighting non-stop, my teenager is being particularly rebellious, and my husband is gone on yet another business trip that I question myself. Is parenthood worth it? Does it really have to be this hard?

Wait. Give me a second to take a deep breath ...

OK. The answer to both questions is a resounding "YES!" Parenthood is wonderful, simply because it is so hard. All the endless disciplining, nagging, negotiating and bickering has a flip-side. It's the moment when your youngest child comes up and gives you a sweet hug for no apparent reason. It's also the moment when you see that your bed is mysteriously made for you and there's an 'I Love You, Mom' post-it note on the pillow. It's when you watch your husband teaching your daughter some of his 'famous' dance moves as she prepares to go to her first church dance. It's when I get so mad at my children's fighting that I say sternly, "The first person to say anything else will get spanked!" And then, as it turns out, I'm the first one to speak, and yes, I get spanked.

Parenthood is a moment-by-moment adventure and if you're thinking of having kids or adopting kids, DO IT! You may find yourself exasperated and tearful (a lot!), but you'll never, ever regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment